A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z

B Street: B Street was designated as housing for one of the Nashua mills.

Bailey Street: Bailey Street was named for the Nashuan lawyer William W. Bailey.

Balcom Street: This street was named after the Balcom Ice Company, prominent in Nashua for years. George E. Balcom took sole proprietorship from upon his father’s retirement in 1881. The Balcom Ice Co. and ice house was located on the shores of Sandy Pond but could only hold five thousand tons. He also purchased the plant of A. T. Laton at Tarnic Pond, in 1883, where more ice houses were built to hold fifteen thousand tons.

Baldwin Street: Nashua’s very first mayor, Josephus Baldwin held the mayoral seat from 1853 to 1854. His house was across the street from what is now City Hall.

Baltimore Road: Located in the Tressel Brook development, this street was named for the Baltimore Railway. It was the subject of a poem and is historical.

Bancroft Street: The Bancroft family was prominent in Nashua during the early years. Lt. Timothy Bancroft was born in 1709 and moved to Dunstable in 1730 before purchasing a large farm that was right on the state line of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. After serving in Colonel Tyng’s company in 1754, he earned his rank as a lieutentant. The Willow Spring House, owned by the Bancroft family was torn down before the Pheasant Lane Mall was built.

Bangor Street: This street was named after Bangor, a town (1991 pop. 70,750) in the North Downtown district of east Northern Ireland, on Belfast Lough. It is a seaport, resort, and yachting center (site of an annual regatta), with some light industry. The Elizabethan Bangor Castle is in the town along with the remains of an abbey founded c.555 by Street Comgall and destroyed by the Danes in the 9th cent. Rebuilt in 1120, it was taken over by Franciscans in 1469. The missionary abbey was dissolved in 1542.

Barley Place: Barley Street was named after grains that were once a staple of the region. Barley is a grass in the genus Hordeum, native to temperate regions, having flowers in terminal, often long-awned spikes.

Barnesdale Road: Barnesdale Road is located with streets based on the legend of Robin Hood. It was named for the town that Robin Hood hails from and is also outlawed from in the Tale of Robin Hood.

Barrington Avenue: This street is named for a New Hampshire town located in Strafford County, New Hampshire. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 7,475.

Bartlett Avenue: Bartlett Avenue was named for a New Hampshire lawyer Ichabod Bartlett. He was a leader in the Whig Party and participated in a convention that adopted a new state constitution in 1850.

Batchelder Street: D. H. Batchelder, for whom Batchelder Street was named, was a leader of one of the opposing parties to the Democratic Party in the 1850s.

Bates Drive: One of the streets in the College District in North Nashua is Bates Drive. This street was named after Bates College, at Lewiston, Maine, which is coeducational. It was founded in 1855 as Maine State Seminary and chartered as a college 1864. It was the first Eastern college to admit women students and is the location of the Edmund S. Muskie Archives.

Bridle Path- Bridle Path was named after a bridle, which is the head harness used to guide a horse. Horse barns were commonly found on this street, and the name mirrors the community at the time.

Briggs Street - Briggs Field is located in Massachusetts. Massachusetts was a state of the northeast United States. It was admitted as one of the original Thirteen Colonies in 1788. The first European settlement was made by the Pilgrims of the Mayflower in 1620. Governed by the Massachusetts Bay Company from 1629 until 1684, the colony was a leader in the move for independence from Great Britain and the site of the first battles of the Revolutionary War in 1775. Boston is the capital and the largest city.

Brigham Street - Brigham Women’s Hospital is located in Massachusetts. The Peter Bent Brigham hospital was established in 1911 before the Boston Hospital for Women was established through a merger of the Boston Lying-in Hospital and the Free Hospital for Women in 1966. The state-of-the-art facility opened its doors in 1980.

Bright Court - Bright Court was named for the best-selling novel Bright Court.

Briley Path - The name for Briley path was chosen by the developer and it was the name of a relative.

Brinton Drive - Brinton Drive was a development area during the building of Nashua. The developer used Brinton, which was the name of one of his relatives, to show that he was a good family man.

Bristol Street - The University of Bristol was founded in 1876 as the University College, Bristol. It was the first UK university to admit women on the same basis as men and is one of the largest employers in the area. It is a member of the Russell Group of Universities as well as the Coimbra Group of leading European universities.

Brittany Way - Brittany was the name of a café that once existed in Nashua. Brittany Way was named in its honor.

Broad Street - The name Broad Street came from the street’s width. White Mountain Freezer Co. was one famous business which moved onto the street in 1930 before burning down. Broadcrest Lane-This street’s name was chosen by the developer as a combination of the words broad and crest. The street’s width might have inspired the word broad, while crest might represent the top of a hill.

Broadview Avenue - This street was named for numerous businesses, such as Broadview Software and Broadview Animal Hospital.

Brook Drive - A brook nearby sparked the name Brook Drive. As they began to build on the street, the developers decided to name it after the brook.

Brookvillage Road - The name Brookvillage came from the brook that once was on this road. The developer, in order to preserve the history, chose this name and added village on the end to represent the building that would be done on the street.

Brook Street - Brook Street was named for a small little brook near the street, not unlike Brook Drive.

Brookfield Street - The man who founded Brookfield village later moved to Dunstable in 1680, and Brookfield Street bears his name.

Brookside Terrace - Brookside Terrace was named after a house abutting a brook on the street. The house was later torn down.

Bruce Street - Bruce Technologies was once located on Amherst Street and the company’s name inspired the developer to name this street. Bruce was probably the first name of the owner of the business or someone related to him.

Brussels Drive - Brussels is the name of a hotel located in Nashua but was probably named for the capital and largest city of Belgium, in the central part of the country. Once the chief town of Brabant, it was made (1530) the capital of the Netherlands under the Hapsburgs. Officially bilingual (Flemish and French), it became capital of Belgium in 1830.

Bryant Road - Bryant is the name of a small park located in Nashua, the inspiration for Bryant Road.

Buchanan Street - Buchanan Street was named after one of the presidents, James Buchanan. James Buchanan, the 15th president of the United States (1857-1861), served during the beginning of the secession crisis that led to the Civil War. Of Scotch-Irish descent, he was born on April. 23, 1791, in Cove Gap, near Mercersburg, Pa., the son of James Buchanan, a prosperous storekeeper, and his wife, Elizabeth Speer.

Buck Street - Buck Street is located in a district with other streets having the same root name, Buck. Wildlife in New Hampshire included deer, moose, and perhaps even bucks. Thus, the name probably came because it was a hunting term.

Bud Way - The Budweiser bottling company was founded on this street in 1972 and as a result, the developers named it Bud Way.

Buker Street - Buker Street is named for the Buker Financial Company located in Nashua.

Bulova Drive - This street is named for the watch company once was located in this area. This company still exists today and has become known for its affordable, good quality watches.

Bungalow Avenue - A bungalow is a dwelling built in a style developed from that of a form of rural house in India. This style of house has been built in Nashua. The original bungalow typically has one story, few rooms, and a maximum of cross drafts, with high ceilings, unusually large window and door openings, and verandas on all sides to shade the rooms from the intense light and tropical heat. Dwellings of this general type became popular in S California, with numerous differences in plan and materials, and were termed bungalows. The word thus came to be used for a cottage or for any small house with verandas covered by low, wide eaves.

Burgess Street - Burgess Street is named for one man who flew a burgess-style airplane built by the Wright Brothers.

Burgundy Drive - Burgundy Drive is named after Burgundy Wine and is located in a district of wine streets. It is any of various red or white wines produced in Burgundy, France, a historical region and former province of eastern France. The Burgundii, a Germanic people, first organized the area into a kingdom in the 5th century A.D. At the height of its later power in the 14th and 15th centuries, Burgundy controlled vast territories in present-day Netherlands, Belgium, and northeast France. Louis XI incorporated it into the French crown lands in 1477.

Burke Street - Burke Street is named for Charles Burke who was the mayor of Nashua from 1884-1890.

Burlington Road - Burlington Road is named for Burlington, a town in the nearby area. The town (1990 pop. 23,302) located in Middlesex co., E Mass. is a residential suburb of Boston; settled 1641 and incorporated in 1799. Manufactures include electronic components, precision instruments, and computer and communications software. Its pre-Revolutionary meetinghouse, remodeled, still stands.

Burnett Street - Burnett was a former governor of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. This street was named in his honor because of his work. The Burnett family -- or Burnet, as it has been frequently spelled -- is one of the oldest and most honorable in the United States. More than one of its representatives have occupied positions of eminence and usefulness in the history of the country. One of the first of the name who attained distinction was William Burnet, colonial governor of New York and New Jersey from 1720 to 1728, and afterward governor of the Colonies of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Governor Burnet is the director ancestor of the branch of the family from which General Henry L. Burnett is descended.

Burnham Avenue - Lester Burnham was the mayor of Nashua during the centennial year and he oversaw many of the festivities throughout the year. Burnham Avenue pays tribute to his work in making the celebration a success.

Burnham Road - Dave Burnham, for whom Burnham Road is named, came to Nashua to become a reporter.

Burns Street - Robert Burns who was born in Nashua, composed two different tunes that are famous in Nashua: Over the Water to Charlie and Auld Lang Syne. He is a Scottish poet considered the major poetic voice of his nation. His lyrics, written in dialect and infused with humor, celebrate love, patriotism, and rustic life.

Burnside Street - Burnside Street is located in a sector of Nashua with street names of prominent civil war figures. Burnside became famous for getting lost during the Battle of Bull Run. He saw brief service in the Mexican War and remained in the army until 1853, when he entered business in Rhode Island. In the Civil War, Burnside commanded a brigade at the first battle of Bull Run and was made (August, 1861) a brigadier general of volunteers. His expedition to the North Carolina coast(1862), resulting in the capture of Roanoke Island, New Bern, Beaufort, and Fort Macon, won him a major generalcy and much prestige. He commanded under G. B. McClellan in the Antietam campaign and shortly afterward succeeded that general in command of the Army of the Potomac. After a costly defeat at the battle of Fredericksburg (see Fredericksburg, battle of) in December, 1862, Burnside asked President Lincoln either to sustain him in dismissing Joseph Hooker and several other generals who opposed his plans, or to remove Burnside himself. Lincoln relieved him in favor of Joseph Hooker. As commander of the Department of the Ohio (Mar.-December, 1863), he occupied E Tennessee, took Knoxville, and repulsed James Longstreet's attempt to recapture the town. In 1864 he commanded under generals Meade and Grant in Virginia. Held partially responsible for the fiasco at Petersburg, he was relieved. Burnside was elected governor of Rhode Island in 1866 and was reelected in 1867 and 1868. From 1875 to his death he was a U.S. Senator. He originated the fashion of wearing long side whiskers, thus the term burnsides or sideburns.

Burrit Street - Burrit Funeral Home is located on Burrit Street, and was the inspiration for the name.

Burton Drive/Street - The Burton Funeral Home provided the inspiration for the names of these streets.

Buswell Street
- James Oliver Buswell was a famous violinist from Nashua.

Butternut Drive - The Butternut (Juglans cinerea), also occasionally known as the White Walnut, is a species of walnut native to the eastern United States and southeast Canada, from southern Quebec west to Minnesota, south to northern Alabama and southwest to northern Arkansas. It is a deciduous tree growing to 20 m tall, rarely 30 m, and 40-80 cm stem diameter, with light gray bark. The leaves are pinnate, 40-70 cm long, with 11-17 leaflets, each leaflet 5-10 cm long and 3-5 cm broad. The whole leaf is downy-pubescent, and a somewhat brighter, yellower green than many other tree leaves. The flowers are inconspicuous yellow-green catkins produced in spring at the same time as the new leaves appear. The fruit is a nut, produced in bunches of 2-6 together; the nut is oblong-ovoid, 3-6 cm long and 2-4 cm broad, surrounded by a green husk before maturity in mid autumn.

Byfield Street - Byfield is a small city in Massachusetts, part of a district in Nashua with nearby city names.